Beat Making Software – If you are a DJ lover, you have a music group, a band or you want to start in the world of production to create music, these are undoubtedly some of the questions that will linger in your head:
What Software do I use to make music? What are the best software for music production? How can I learn to use the production programs?
Let’s be honest, making music was never easy … nor cheap!
Luckily we live in a time where access to the tools we need to make our songs is easier, cheaper, and more accessible than at any other time in history.
Any musician from just a few decades ago would have dreamed of having half the possibilities offered by the programs to make music that we have access to today, even twice (triple, quadruple …) of their current price.
These are good times, if we had been born just a few years ago we would not have these possibilities … So, let’s take advantage of it! You want to make music. Keep reading…
- 1 What is a DAW or Music Production Program?
- 2 How to Choose the best free Beat Making Software to Make Music or DAW?
- 3 The Best Free Beat Making Software or Programs for Make Music.
- 3.1 1. Garageband Apple
- 3.2 2. FL Studio (old Fruity Loops)
- 3.3 3. Pro Tools
- 3.4 4. Cubase
- 3.5 5. Ableton Live
- 3.6 6. Logic Pro X
- 4 Final Conclusion:
What is a DAW or Music Production Program?
A DAW, which stands for Digital Audio Workstation, is a program designed for editing, recording, mixing and mastering digital audio files.
A DAW or digital audio editing program is basically a blank piece of paper and the brushes needed for an artist to create their artwork.
Once you have chosen the right music-making program, all you will need to create your own songs is your talent, some sounds, and above all, creativity.
With this tool, you will be able to record your different instruments, order the tracks, add virtual instruments, rearrange, cut, paste, edit, add effects, mix and master your songs so that the world can listen to it.
Professionals, amateurs, and home studios use DAWs as their backbone to make music. Some still use analog settings, such as Akai MPC type samplers, but most people today use computer-based software to make music.
Apart from a computer, a DAW is the most important piece of the gear of music production. Today with just these two elements it is possible to create incredible results. And the good news is that anyone can become a great producer!
How to Choose the best free Beat Making Software to Make Music or DAW?
For us, choosing your DAW is like choosing which soft drink to mix with your favorite drink. Anyone can work for you.
However, it is advisable to take into account your personal needs in order to choose the best possible option.
Here are some important things to keep in mind while searching:
- Your budget: This is an investment, usually 4-5 years or more (like buying a car), so you’re going to want to do it right. We all find it hard to save a few hundred euros that these programs can cost, so the price factor is something to keep in mind when choosing one production tool or another. It is important to think long term and also luckily most of these companies offer free tests of their programs that will be more than enough to test the software and see that it meets our needs.
- What platform does it use: Although most programs have versions on the most popular platforms, other DAWs only work on certain platforms, such as the case of Logic X Pro, which is only available under MAC computers. If you have the platform on which the program works you will have no problem, if not, you will have to consider the investment that will also require buying that equipment.
- Do you perform live performances? Some of the software is more optimal for performing live than others and has special features for this, while others are purely intended for work in the music studio.
The Best Free Beat Making Software or Programs for Make Music.
All the main programs for music production today are of great quality and you will find international producers who have made some of your favorite songs using any of them, however, if you are starting in the production of your own music and want us to put the easier things, here is a list of what for us are the best programs for you to start making your songs:
1. Garageband Apple
You will have to search hard to find a better DAW if you are an initiate in the world of production or just someone who wants to record a demo for their group in an amateur way.
Garageban comes free with the new Mac and if you can’t download it at a very low price, right now it costs $ 4.99 in the App Store.
The great thing about Garageban is that anyone, even non-musicians, can easily “play” with their libraries and instruments and create music tracks. It also has all the basic tools for recording and creating songs.
GarageBand right now has evolved into a kind of mini-Logic Pro, so if its functionalities start to fall short for your needs, you can make a leap in quality to this more professional software in a relatively simple way.
It has drum functionality that is ideal for automatic rhythm generation, smart controls that make it easy to edit sounds, and it also has a “Logic Remote” app for remote parameter control via iPad.
- Its price. Free with the new Mac. IPad version.
- Ease of use, it is the perfect program to start in the world of production or for amateur bands and groups.
- For more professional users it has certain shortcomings.
- Only available for Apple platforms. With versions on Mac, iPad, and iPhone.
- They have sacrificed features to gain simplicity and ease of use.
Download: Download GarageBand for Mac.
2. FL Studio (old Fruity Loops)
FL Studio started life as Fruity Loops, the highly popular beat/rhythm/loop step editor that has been used by numerous artists and producers around the world (Deadmau5 included). However, today it has earned with its own merits the status of being one of the most complete DAWs on the market.
The latest version of FL Studio, released this year, represents one of the most significant revisions to the program in years. It offers a vector user interface that looks great on high-resolution monitors, a redesigned mixer, and updates for several of its software plugins.
FL Studio is today a good option to start in the professional world of music creation.
Perhaps its strong point is still the ease of starting to work with the tools and libraries that it provides you from the factory and a good mixing console, rather than a more traditional approach to what a recording studio is.
Another great advantage that it presents compared to other DAWS is that it now offers free lifetime updates to all those who buy its license.
This guarantees that in the long run it will be a very profitable tool, especially if we compare it with other popular options for the same platform (PC) such as Cubase.
- Learning curve. Although like all professional DAW it is still a program that requires a lot of experience to take advantage of all its performance, the learning curve of FL studio is somewhat more accessible when compared to other software in the same category.
- It has one of the best and most active online communities, making it very easy to find online support, forums, and resources.
- Free lifetime updates.
- At an advanced professional level, FL studio is still somewhat behind other music production programs.
- Its MAC version is not yet completely stable.
Download: Download FL Studio.
3. Pro Tools
Pro Tools has long been the industry standard for professional recording studio software or beat making software.
The latest version of Pro Tools sets the bar high again with its 64-bit audio engine and low-latency handling, playback, and recording.
Pro Tools is also expandable to Pro Tools HD, which has incredible recording capabilities but is expensive compared to other digital audio work software.
- The authentic “standard” in all the world’s great studios.
- Audio recording.
- Its a sound engine.
- It remains one of the tools preferred by the best producers and technicians in the world when it comes to mixing and mastering.
- Its functionalities for handling MIDI and virtual instruments, although they have greatly improved with their latest versions, are still somewhat behind their more direct competitors.
- High learning curve.
- It has evolved slower than the competition.
Download: Download Pro Tools.
Cubase has been an industry standard for years. This beat making software is often referred to as “the grandfather of DAWs” as it has been in development since 1989 (Atari ST).
Cubase was created by Steinberg, the company that introduced the Virtual Instrument Plugin technology that we all know today as VSTs.
Many well-known composers like Zedd, Justice, Kraftwerk use Cubase, and there is no doubt that it is an excellent piece of software.
Although as we have told you, Cubase was originally published in Atari, Steinberg has managed to evolve and perfect its DAW over the years until today, where it is undoubtedly one of the main tools of musical creation for musicians and producers.
Overall, Cubase Pro feels like what it is: a mature, professional DAW that continues to evolve in interesting directions to create a great creative tool.
- It is one of the current standards.
- There are versions for both PC and Mac.
- When it comes to audio editing, it is one of the best options on the market.
- Very frequent updates (although some of the payment).
- High learning curve.
- Its price.
- You have to pay a hefty amount for bigger updates.
Download Cubase: official website.
5. Ableton Live
It is a beat making software. Ableton Live entered the market when other solutions were already very popular and in its early years failed to attract too much attention.
However, its continuous updates, high quality, and above all its innovative and creative approaches to music production have made a difference and have made it one of the most famous music creations software today.
Although Ableton continues to be a great tool for studio work such as recording, composing, mixing and mastering, the one where Ableton Live really makes a difference with other DAWs is in its “Clip View” mode, where this software does not have a rival as an instrument for live performances, shows, and DJ sessions.
This view is also a very important and powerful innovation in the creative workflow when creating a song and also doing live performances, which makes Live, in addition to being one of the best music production tools right now.
- More creative workflow.
- In addition to its power to study, it is a very useful and flexible tool for live performances. It is increasingly used by DJs, electronic artists, and bands within their shows.
- The quality of its native plugins.
- For certain more complex styles, your workflow may not be optimal.
- Not the best DAW to mix the final track.
Celebrities who use Ableton Live:
David Guetta, Madeon, Diplo, Skrillex …
6. Logic Pro X
Logic Pro X, Apple’s solution for music producers or it is a beat making software, is surely all that you think of when the idea of a studio for the professional musician comes into your head – it’s an extremely elegant music production solution that just works.
In the last year, we have had a real frenzy of activity in the development of this tool, which has made this program once again lead the list of best programs for making music.
The latest Logic Pro X updates have brought a variety of improvements; in their workflow, they have improved their percussion application, they have renewed all the work views for high-resolution screens.
They have prepared their plugins for retina resolutions, they have considerably renewed and expanded the sound library, they have included a new synthesizer Retro and the impressive and very complete Alchemy synthesizer from Camel Audio (paid software that is now free for Logic Pro X users), among many other new features and improvements.
In short, if Logic Pro X was already a DAW that offered great value, now it is truly irresistible. If you have a Mac, Logic Pro X is definitely an option you won’t regret.
- In the last year, it is perhaps the music software that has evolved the most.
- Its price. Especially if we consider its quality and the amount of additional material it comes with, such as libraries, synths, virtual instruments, and plugins.
- The quality of your mixing console
- The quality of its native plugins.
- Only available for Apple platforms, iOS.
Download: Logic Pro X – Apple.
Today we have at our disposal such powerful tools that even the best sound technician or beat making software of 20 years ago could not have imagined having so much available for so little.
Choosing the right beat making software or DAW to make music is important but it is only a first step.
Creativity, perseverance, learning from typical production mistakes, constant and progressive work, learning new techniques and being updated with new tools, promoting yourself and investing in your own music marketing, and getting a personal style are another of the steps you will have to go through in this long but exciting world of production if you want to create great musical themes.
We wish you the best of luck and hopefully one day we will hear one of your songs, somewhere without even knowing that it all started by choosing the right program to make music on this page.
Note: We will expand and complement this guide as new beat making software or professional programs to create music evolve or are created. Meanwhile, we leave the comments section open to any suggestion, contribution, or annotation on your part.